Release Date: February 21st, 2019
I bought an Aladdin Deck Enhancer way back in 2015. In fact, it was on an episode of “The Game Chasers.” At the time, I knew next to nothing about it. There are a ton of weird accessories for the Nintendo Entertainment System, so just add it to the pile. But in late 2018, I saw it sitting on my shelf and decided to dive in. What I discovered was a fascinating story. It involves several companies (Camerica, Codemasters, Nintendo) and even a Nintendo World Champion (Thor Aackerland). Although the games for the Aladdin Deck Enhancer aren’t great, the actual device wasn’t a bad idea at all. It just came out at a time when the NES was on its way out and the new 16-bit systems were all the rage.
A huge thank you to Martin Nielsen of NES World for sending me a treasure trove of material for this episode!
- I Am Error by Nathan Altice, pg. 241-242
- Camerica Winter CES 1993 Press Release
- Camerica Winter CES 1993 Price List
- Terry Hickey, conducted via Skype, January 23rd 2019
- Camerica To Make $15 NES Carts, EGM, February 1993, pg. 50
- Hardware Helpers, GamePro, September 1992, pg. 42-43
- Innovation Breeds Growth, Dealerscope, June 1992, pg. 86
- Test Lab, Electronic Games, April 1993, pg. 94-95